Friday, December 2, 2011

Time Flies!

It seems like the past season just ended but, it has been over two months since I last raced a bike. Most cyclists live by a different calendar than the rest of the world and consider the end of the year at the time of their last race. October and November have been pretty relaxing months, as they follow up the end of a long racing season. I ended my past season (or last year in cyclist terms) with a bang at the U23 World Championships in Copenhagen and, then the Mayor's Cup Criterium in Boston about 18hrs after arriving home. Needless to say after the Mayor's Cup I was ready for a well deserved break.

After recharging my batteries for a couple weeks at home with my family in Boston I packed up my things and began my journey towards Austin, TX, my home for winter training. I broke up the 2100 mile journey visiting current and past teammates Charlie Avis and Ben Gabardi along the way. I arrived in Austin just in time for the Ride for the Roses- the biggest LIVESTRONG ride of the year. This was my second time doing the ride and it was just as good as the first. It's always inspiring to hear some of the amazing stories from cancer survivors out there on the ride.

The "off-season" has come and gone and, it seems like I am back in full-time bike racer mode. Training distances and intensities have begun to slowly pick up, under the guidance of my new coach David Wenger of Durata Training. I have been having more fun than ever riding with teammates Lawson Craddock and Nate Brown. As much as I love New England, Austin's fall and winter weather make training far more enjoyable! I have already begun thinking about next season and, can't wait to get back into the peleton. If the months keep passing as they have been I'll be back racing before I know it!


Thanks for reading.
-Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment