Monday, August 17, 2009

Worlds and Vlaamse Gewesten

If you haven't already seen the result Worlds didn't go as well planned. The air pollution made it hard for me to breathe and I could never get a full breath. I was at my limit from the first kilometer and only lasted 7 of 10 laps. The rest of the team rode great Nate was driving a big break for most of the race and Rathe had a good finish in the end for 17th. Thats pretty much it about Worlds it was one of my worst days on a bike and there is not much to say about it. I have put it behind me by now and moved on to the next races. During the week Rathe and I did a Kermesse to make some money and get some training. I wasn't exactly looking for a hard race but, it is Belgium and there are no other types of races. It was a tough 7km lap with a lot of wind and a nice climb. I must have been in 50 attacks and breaks there was no hiding on this course. Rathe got away with two others on the second to last lap and stayed away to win the race in a great sprint. I attacked my group with 1km to go and almost held it but got passed by 2 riders at the line to get 6th. It was definitely more fun than training and after riding to and from the race we had a solid day and made some good money. Yesterday was a UCI 1.1 in Belgium called Vlaamse Gewesten. It was 134km of flat roads and wind. Nate made a break of 12 about halfway through. I tried to bridge with Eastman and a few others with 40km to go but the group was not working well and we didn't make it. Then on the last lap I bridged to a chase group containing Boswell and Rathe. We drove the chase group hard for the last 12km and got within 5 seconds of catching the break which was down to 7 at this point but never made it. Boswell lead out the sprint from the last Km and Rathe hit the front with 500m to go after that leadout my only option was to win that sprint for 8th, Rathe held on for 10th and, Nate was 3rd. Second on team GC not a bad day! Also, Edwig Van Hooydonck was at the race and said that Nate was the best rider of the race and name to remember for the future! Pretty cool coming from a 2 time Ronde Van Vlaanderen winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment