Wednesday, July 29, 2009

KY and beyond


A lot has happened since the last post. Red River Gorge ended just as well as it started. On the hardest stage of the race we had a few mishaps, in about 5km the race turned upside down for me. After the first KOM our whole team was in the lead group, until the descent. First, Nate dropped his chain and about 5 seconds later Lawson flatted. I dropped back to pace Nate back to the group and Stueee gave Lawson his front wheel. That was fine we all made it back easily but, immediately as I joined the lead group I flatted my front tire. Got a great wheel change and again was back pretty shortly after using the caravan. This time about 2 minutes after catching back on there was a huge pile up on a hairpin corner. I crashed and slid about 25 feet and ended up off the road. When I finally got back on my bike to start chasing the caravan was in pieces making it difficult to chase back on. When I eventually made it back it was at the base of the second and hardest KOM. I ended up in the 3rd group on the road and knew we would never make it back. I enjoyed the rest of the stage in the grupetto while my teammate ahead were tearing the race apart taking 2,3,4, and 6th and keeping yellow and almost taking the KOMs as well. The last stage was a crit and time gaps were mostly too big for this to be a big GC decider. I wanted the stage win to make up from the previous day. When I saw Anders off the front with a couple others I knew it was time to bridge. We spent the last half hour off the front and I won the stage in a sprint of course. I picked my stage win carefully as this stage had by far the best podium girls, they were dancers for a semi-pro arena football team!

In case you haven't already heard I was nominated to the Junior World Championships Team! Worlds are in Moscow on August 9th if there is some sort of coverage I will post a link. I am in Belgium right now preparing for Worlds with the rest of the team. We are doing a 3 day race this weekend called Liege la Glieze.

No comments:

Post a Comment